Erasmus won't be watching Hollywood's festival this year. He found himself uncharacterisitcally bored by this year's prestige films, and didn't spend many of his precious spare moments watching them. If Erasmus got to pick a field of films, he'd have to go with several uncited by the Academy. In fact, he's rather worried to see that they appear mostly unreviewed by him. Well, Erasmus will try to remedy that.
Erasmus's best movies of 2005, those he believes will be rewatched in 2015 and 2025, were:
- King Kong, a classic fairy tale gorgeously realized
- The Great Raid, excellent history, better film, superlative story
- The 40-Year-Old Virgin, sweet, smart, subtly subversive comedy
- Layer Cake, the best, most intelligent crime movie in some time
- Wedding Crashers, another ostensibly trite comedy with a genuine core
- Sin City, an empty, nihilistic void at the core, but the artistry astonished
Overall, MMV non placuit.